Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cases Three

As I looked through the current cases being decided by the US Supreme Court, there were three that reached out and grabbed my attention: Coleman v. Maryland Court of Appeals, Blueford v. Arkansas, and Roberts v. Sea-Land Services.
Coleman v. Maryland Court of Appeals: This case caught my attention because of the possible direct violation of the Constitution. This is a violation because Coleman was denied his rights to have a federal court review a civil court case, because the suit was against a state company. This was granted June 27, 2011, but has yet to be decided. My decision on this matter would be to declare the act of denying the review of a cases unconstitutional.

Blueford v. Arkansas: Also got my attention for its violation of the constitution. It seems like the court system was trying to try him twice on the same charges after the first case was dismissed by the judge. This case was granted October 11, 2011, with no decision as of late. My position on this is that they do not have the power to try Blueford on the same charges regardless of any decisions made by the Courts.

Roberts v. Sea-Land Services: This case was a hard one because it involved the breaking of a law, the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act. Thought the case has decide that it was a non-legal action, the two sides are debating what the compensation should be, and how it should be decided. This case was granted September 27, 2011, but has yet to be decided. Where I happen to stand is on the fence, because the defendant, or the company that broke the law, has the ability to decide, but Roberts insist that they should pay him a different amount.

1 comment:

  1. These are all really good court cases. These cases suggest the idea that the government has too many intricate laws that overlap eachother and can be easily broken or opposed by people who want their own justice. I am not against any of your positions on the case; I quite agree with them. Although my position is a little mixed about Roberts vs Sea-Land Services because I need more information about how it began and how it changed overtime.

    ReplyDelete